Families Together Summer Day Camp
Download Camp Application by clicking: Camp Registration 2016
Type: 3 hour day camp on Thursday’s this summer for 8 weeks (June 30-August 18)
Time: 10:00AM-1:00PM (Bring a sack lunch and we will end each day with lunch at 12:30PM)
Where: We will be meeting out in the community at parks and other venues
- Cost: Free this summer
- Families Together Summer Camp registration opens immediately and will close June 15th OR when we receive the first 15 completed applications. Please note, there are only 15 spaces available.
- Summer Camp program is from 10:00AM-1:00PM on Thursdays; please pick up children promptly or bring a lunch and join us as we end our day.
- If child has behavioral issues, a therapist or support person must accompany child.
- An emergency contact that can be reached during camp hours must be provided.
- Sack lunch
- Water bottle and comfortable shoes
- Do NOT bring: skateboards, jewelry, pepper sprays, toys, hand held video games or valuable items
We encourage children with disabilities to learn the skills they need to develop meaningful relationships with others and cope with a variety of social situations in a safe, supportive environment.
Result of meaningful relationships
Children with disabilities desire to have relationships with others, but sometimes lack the skills or understanding of how to do so. When children do not have meaningful relationships, anxiety, depression, and isolation result. However, when children develop meaningful relationships, anxiety decreases, self-confidence and self-esteem increase, thus enhancing the quality of life for the child. When children have even one friend, life is more enjoyable and the children have more motivations to stretch beyond their patterns of isolation.
Our program promotes social skill acquisition in a motivating environment with enjoyable activities with the support of trained staff and volunteers. Friendships will be nurtured and social interactions will be facilitated. The groups will remain small in order to promote the feelings of security and emotional safety and to avoid overwhelming stimuli.
Thank you to the Shark’s AAU basketball team for a great Basketball Camp!
Families Together was founded in 1986 in Pullman, Washington by parents, siblings and professionals to provide families with support and information using the Family Enrichment Weekend model. The Family Enrichment Weekend is a unique model that uses a combination of recreation, education, and performance to provide families with an exciting family experience that is filled with laughter, learning, and love.
Families Together is a nonprofit organization that believes family involvement and support are essential for individuals with disabilities to reach their potential and maintain a life that is secure and meaningful. Families Together’s programs are designed to build and sustain strong, healthy, informed, and actively involved family members who can work together to improve the lifelong outcomes for their child or sibling with a disability.
- Family learning and recreation will benefit all family members and strengthen family unity.
- Full participation of individuals with disabilities enriches all families and communities.
- People with disabilities need involved family members to advocate and support them to live, work, and fully participate in their community.
- Non-disabled siblings need support and information to assist them in advocating and supporting their brother or sister with a disability as children and as adults.
- Families need ongoing information and training in advocating for high quality education and career training opportunities.
- Providing families with resources and supports that build and maintain strong, healthy, informed, and actively involved family members who can work together to improve the life-long outcomes for their child or their sibling with a disability.